Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to update to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and several organizations out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults who have hearing loss are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been associated with multiple health problems from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be avoided and in some situations reversed by hearing aids.
And the final compelling point is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in income every single year. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a tremendous impact on their financial stability, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.